|Safety and Security
District personnel work together and with local law enforcement to ensure everyone’s safety on
campus. Safety components include:
The District takes a “continuous improvement” approach in maintaining security. As new
strategies/procedures come to light, these are incorporated into each site’s response to security
- Limiting access to one entry at the elementary schools and the middle school. Gates are
locked at all times during school hours.
- Deploying campus security aides at the middle and high school.
- Conducting regularly scheduled lockdown drills with law enforcement supervision.
- Responding immediately to any real or perceived threats of violence. Response always
includes law enforcement.
- Maintaining door mechanisms that allow staff to close and lock doors without going
- Maintaining a District anonymous tip line for reporting threats (805-881-2869).
- Requiring CUSD staff to wear photo ID badges at all times.
- Requiring volunteers and visitors to wear ID badges.
- Requiring staff keep cell phones on their person at all times with numbers of all staff; this
permits nimble communication in any emergency.